Saturday, November 24, 2018

Ben 22 math major

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
You both like Buddhist, and Buddhism.
Stranger: hi
You: https://class.coursera.org/behavioralecon-001/lecture/79
You: hello
Stranger: what is that?
Stranger: I can't copy omegle text easily
You: A Beginner's Guide to Irrational Behavior
You: course from coursera
Stranger: i see
Stranger: why are you suggesting it to me?
You: maybe
You: I love the word autodidact
You: so so much
Stranger: ok...
You: why are you here?
Stranger: to talk about religions
You: for what purpose
Stranger: it is a form of practise
You: Buddhist?
Stranger: to practise thinking
Stranger: I am not
You: good
You: what do you read?
Stranger: many things
You: age?
Stranger: 22
You: 19
You: do you have any quotes on thought
You: (on demand)
You: or nearby
Stranger: not really
Stranger: oh wait
Stranger: "as you think, so shall you become"
You: law of attraction
You: how about this though:
You: Here were kind people—wonderful people,
who were spending hours in terrible
conditions to serve their patients.
And they were not saying, you know, I
don't know which is the right way.
They were convinced that the right thing
to do was actually the thing that was
wrong.
It's not as if they say, I just don't know
what the right answer is.
No they actually had a strong conviction
that they knew what the right answer is,
but that was not the right one.
You: from the prof. I am listening to (past lecture)
Stranger: so these people are convinced that something that is wrong, is right?
Stranger: so they are deluded?
You: so this prof. was burned--full body.
You: the nurses
You: thought they knew the
You: least painful way to take off his bandages
You: I think this story is a metaphor for how most American's act.
You: by the way I'm from Wisconsin
Stranger: am I right to think that this way of taking the bandages off was not the least painful?
You: the way his nurses did?
You: then no.
You: he studied behavioralism and pain and such
You: before I saw the lecture I would think of this idea (from the text) as "good people" trying to do "good things" but failing or even going against their true purpose
You: thoughts?
You: connects to anything you've read?
Stranger: I would see it as a mistake they made that they were unaware of
You: So if I said what I mean straight out:
You: the mistake that ppl make--unaware: life has the Purpose of happiness
Stranger: we humans, in life, are goal oriented to seek that which leads to greater happiness
You: I only partially agree about the goal oriented part
You: And, if we could speak like this:
You: http://wordvandals.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/key-terms-from-paulo-freire.pdf#page=2
You: that'd be great
You: (just right click, and copy?)
Stranger: i see
Stranger: though I do like argument and debate
You: why?
Stranger: for the challenge and to win
You: aghhh
You: I work as a counselor at a summer camp
Stranger: :listening to find flaws and make counter arguments"<--- I like thins
Stranger: this*
You: my boss said that is a good way to get kids involved
You: So, I'm talking too much, what is the "objective" of your life?
Stranger: to protect a certain person
Stranger: and make them happy I guess
Stranger: I view life as a game, and that is the current objective of that game
Stranger: though it need not be so
You: eeeaghhhh (long sigh) really happiness
You: what is there besides?
You: (and besides extremes, ie, opposite)
Stranger: I found extreme happiness once. now I believe I should seek to make this other person happy, and that will make me happy, and that is enough
You: what is there for a Purpose besides happiness?
Stranger: purpose? like a goal, well I have a specific goal. that goal could lead me personally to happiness I suppose. as a human I like what is pleasant and dislike what is unpleasant
Stranger: my actions show this
Stranger: to continue to act seeking good and avoiding bad is what being human means
Stranger: until you die and can no longer act
Stranger: the idea of happiness and a purpose are very similar objects n the human psyche, happiness defines what a good purpose is
Stranger: in*
You: but what is there BESIDES happiness for a Goal?
You: what is possible?
Stranger: there is happiness in general, then specific instances of happiness, but we don't have a "goal" without it being a form of happiness
Stranger: goal and happiness are connected, one to one
Stranger: so I don't think there is much other than happiness for a goal or purpose
Stranger: we could try to act randomly, but we won't do that unless we want to act randomly
You: ok, fine, how about /after/ being *content* what is a Goal of that--what could help curb that Purpose?
Stranger: a that point acting randomly makes us happy and it sn't random
Stranger: if you're content, there is no purpose. satisfaction is the death of desire
You: Ok to be honest, I was fishing
Stranger: luckily, we are never content
Stranger: i see
Stranger: what did you want to find?
You: so the goal is personal enjoyment
You: not peace, amelioration of extreme poverty, education reform/revolution
You: or something else??
Stranger: once we understand that we are connected to our world, our own personal enjoyment gets tied up to how everyone else, the whole world, is doing, so when we seek "personal enjoyment", part of that will include more "noble" goals such as helping the world at large. For me, I feel that my happiness is very connected to another person's happiness, so for me to enjoy, they must also enjoy
Stranger: peace, no more poverty, etc, can be subsumed into the seeking of personal happiness
Stranger: just as the happiness of another individual can become subsuned into my own seeking of personal happiness
You: country?
You: US
Stranger: usa
You: name?
Stranger: ben
You: adam
You: do you have any books to recommend to me?
Stranger: Godel, Esher, Bach, an eternal golden braid
You: authors?
Stranger: by Douglas Hofstadter
You: that's one book?
Stranger: one book
You: cool beans
You: reading wikiped
You: this is cool!!
You: what are your personally favorite books or better
You: do you have a goodreads.com account?
Stranger: no I don't
Stranger: one of my favorite books is Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus
You: existential crisis!
Stranger: yep
You: I am sitting in front of a picture (I mirrored/ drew) of a man rolling a bolder up...
You: I just read somewhere that the myth also is a metaphor for consumerism
You: since "Gödel, Escher, Bach"... do you know symbolic logic??
You: or knew?
Stranger: I know of logic and symbols, so I guess so
Stranger: I majored in math in college

No comments:

Post a Comment