Saturday, November 24, 2018

Ada from Poland

You both like philosophy, and debate.
You: Hi. I'm Adam, 24.
Stranger: Hello
Stranger: Nice to meet you
You: Likewise?
Stranger: I'm Ada
Stranger: Almost the same name, I like that
You: Really?
You: Where are you form?
Stranger: I'm from Poland
You: US
You: Snow there?
You: There's snow here.
Stranger: No snow here, although it is cold
Stranger: Shame. I like snow
You: =)
You: Have you had a good debate yet?
Stranger: No, not in a long time
Stranger: Haven't had the time to, to be honest
You: What topics do you know about
You: Or what do you study?
Stranger: I personally strongly dislike debates that are deeply rooted in throwing facts at each other, so I mostly just pick apart at whatever someone says with an attention to detail that drives people crazy
You: Certain animals suffer unnecessarily due to certain practices inherent in factory farming.
You: Basically production animals are put in contexts not optimal for them. Some of them get sick; the majority, though stressed, manage to survive, grow, reproduce, produce milk/eggs, and so on--sometimes despite being sick. The productivity of those who cope outweighs the loss associated with those who cannot.
Stranger: I have always found that terrifying and sickening, to be honest I think that kind of approach should definitely be stopped
You: So the right thing to do--in regard to practical action that you or I can do--is either buy local "organic" meats and such, which is a bit expensive, or become vegetarian (and hopefully someday vegan).
Stranger: Yes, that is true, but it would require a very large movement to make a change, wouldn't it?
Stranger: And yet vegetarians get such a bad rep for being vocal. Tragic, really
Stranger: I personally barely eat meat since I was a kid, I just dislike the taste. But as society progresses we are soon doomed to realise we cannot just keep using animals in such ways, as it degrades the environment so much
You: It's about taking a principled stand. Being vegetarian, and then vegan, is a stand against it, and the right thing to do.
You: So no, it's not about actual impact.
You: If everyone thought like that though, technology would be the only real prime mover.
Stranger: I have yet to fully understand and realise the heroism of taking a stand for the sake of it.
You: Ok
You: It's more about integrity than heroism
You: I wouldn't say it's about heroism at all actually

No comments:

Post a Comment