Wednesday, November 14, 2018

11/14

You both like politics.
You: Hello, I'm Adam. I'd like to argue something. Why are you here?
Stranger: Just interested in talking 'outsode the bubble'
Stranger: So fire away Adam!
You: Ok.
Stranger: *outside
You: I got it.
You: I have concrete topics, but I've talked a lot about them already
Stranger: Alright. Any topics left?
Stranger: That have not received attention
You: I've got 'ideas'...
You: wouldn't really call it a topic
Stranger: Alright. Ideas on what?
You: When faced with a new decision or change, the [personal] question comes in some way or another: “Is it win-lose, lost-win, win-win or lose-lose?” As a rule-of-thumb, most people stay safe. If it doesn’t directly effect me, I’d rather be nothing than (me) at a loss. If every decision were a mere probability of those four instances, that’s 50% chance.
You: *lose-win
Stranger: Sure. Game theory
You: That's the unedited version.
You: *do nothing
Stranger: Yeah I guess you have a point, it aligns with game theory pretty well. How do you see it in daily life?
You: Standing for a cause in the world
You: Any cause really
Stranger: I would like to see people not being afraid to act though
Stranger: And some do
You: Animal rights, poverty, environmentalism, etc
You: Do you?
Stranger: There are plenty of people who do devote their lives to those causes, and even risk their own safety for it
You: Of course.
You: The most extreme case is martyrdom.
Stranger: I'd like to say those topics are dear to my heart but I don't do enough
You: I'm sorry for assuming this, and I'm not trying to take a moral high ground
You: But from that statement, I don't think you persistently do
Stranger: I eat virtually no meat, donate to charities and minimize waist, but then again: I fly pretty often and am a consumer in the 'fast fashion market'
Stranger: It's tough to be on the right side
You: Ok, you proved me wrong.
Stranger: Persistent is the right word
Stranger: That's the hard part
You: Consistent better?
You: Anyone can do something good once.
Stranger: Same. It's tough to bring those sacrifices. Convenience versus Conscience
Stranger: Very true. Would you say you are consistent?
You: Yes.
Stranger: How?
You: But can you be more specific?
You: I'm working on being vegan.
You: And more objective things too.
You: "virtually no meat, donate to charities" ~ why not all? which charities?
Stranger: Because meat is tasty hahaha. I sin. And because I support the "harmfree" meat industry as opposed to bio-industry
Stranger: If a cow has a decent life, I'm okay if it ends in consumption
You: Ah, so you buy local meats?
You: That's probably better than what I do on that front.
Stranger: Doctors without borders and Amnesty international, but I'm looking for another, climate oriented option
Stranger: Local, exactly
Stranger: Tastier, support local business and less/minimal cruelty
Stranger: And not expensive if you cut back on the quantity
Stranger: How about you?
You: I give consistently to either a deworming initiative like SCI or the Against Malaria Foundation.
You: Locally, I'm a vegetarian. I also help my campus Engineers Without Borders.
You: We do big things.
Stranger: That's great!
Stranger: Do you fly?
Stranger: That's the tough one for me
You: No.
You: Do you mean fly over there?
Stranger: I fly often for work, so the impact of that compared to cutting back on meat is huge :(
Stranger: I just mean using an airplane
Stranger: Where are you from by the way?
You: I have use planes though.
You: Wisconsin.
You: & you?
Stranger: Then you must feel like your countries ideals are not really aligning with your own right now
You: Definitely
Stranger: With the fracking in National Parks and all that
Stranger: I'm Dutch, from Amsterdam
You: Ya, I see pretty much every country as better with regards to morality
You: you know, than us dumb hubristic Americans
Stranger: Well each has its own issues but your impact is just so much bigger
Stranger: 300M people compared to 17 in the Netherlands haha
You: =)
Stranger: USA political moves just have a lot more global consequences
Stranger: Do you follow European politics?
You: I don't follow any politics.
Stranger: Not in your own country either?
Stranger: Did you vote during the midterms?
You: Nope. I vote. That's it.
Stranger: How do you know what to vote for if you don't follow politics?
You: vote411.org
Stranger: Didn't John Oliver recommend that site recently?
You: I wouldn't know.
Stranger: Are you familiar with the book 'sapiens' by Yuval Harari?
You: I'm not
Stranger: You sound like someone who would appreciate it
You: Looks good
You: I'll put it on the list
You: Do you have a list?
Stranger: Alright, I got to go back to work. Have a nice day Adam
Stranger: Oh yeah man tons of books I still want to read

No comments:

Post a Comment