Sunday, December 2, 2018

Veganism

You both like Philosophy.
You: Hey. I'm Adam, 24 and from Wisconsin. I like to argue/discuss. Wbu?
Stranger: I do, as well!
You: Cool beans
You: Got a topic or two?
Stranger: Ethics is fun
You: Any practical ethics?
You: What topics?
Stranger: Well, may you pick?
You: I know most about lessening absolute poverty
You: but I usually just teach
You: which I don't feel up to
You: Otherwise, vegetarianism is simple enough to discuss
Stranger: Yeah? What about it?
You: Ok, so let's first start in the health side of it
You: Is it hard to be a healthy vegetarian?
Stranger: It depends your diet restrictions
You: you and me
You: I have no restrictions
You: do you?
Stranger: I have a quite restrictive diet, yes
You: why is that?
Stranger: I'm allergic to nuts and soy
Stranger: So protein seems to be out of the question for me in a vegetarian diet
You: huh
You: I don't eat any nuts really
You: What foods contain soy?
You: besides tofu? (which I also don't eat really)
Stranger: Just tofu, as much as I know
You: ah, so I wouldn't call that quite restrictive
You: ...I should buy some of that stuff
Stranger: How do I obtain protein?
You: beans, lentils, chickpeas
You: vegan milk
Stranger: Allergic to chickpeas
Stranger: What's lentils?
You: legume
You: common as tomato soup
Stranger: I'm allergic to legumes
You: ya, I don't know how you'd fair
You: protein powder probably has some of those ingredients
You: so you probably couldn't take that either
You: besides it not being a complete protein
You: I mean, there are other sources
You: But you'd have to actually look into it
Stranger: So it's different for everybody, how healthy you can be on a vegetarian diet
You: Well, for most it's fine
You: You can be just as healthy as any other diet
You: You can be unhealthy with anything
Stranger: Alright, sure, so what's next?
You: damn
You: Do you have one?
You: I really don't want to explain everything about how to best lessen absolute poverty
Stranger: You said let's start with the health side. What's the other side?
You: Morality
Stranger: Oh. Do you think killing by itself is immoral?
You: I usually argue based on certain animal's living conditions in the US (i.e., suffering, not against slaughter).
You: So no, but technically yes
You: That's the last stage
Stranger: I suppose that's where our fundamental disagreement lie
You: Suffering?
Stranger: I don't find killing immoral
You: I don't either
Stranger: So what do you find immoral?
You: The industry
Stranger: So if the industry was changed you'd have no problem eating meat
You: If the industry changed, so that I would be able to eat meat, I'd be unsustainable
You: Grass fed cows not living short lives
You: That's just unsustainable from what I've read about
You: I can't cite things for you
You: I don't catalog everything I read
Stranger: I'm talking hypothetically
Stranger: Would you eat the meat of a deer that a hunter bagged in the woods?
You: If that's where most of it came from, sure.
You: Gotta keep that deer population healthy
You: They live relatively good lives too
Stranger: Interesting
You: Especially compared to diary cows and chickens
You: Hell, I know some "vegans" from NY who eat beef
You: (from a local farm)
You: Super expensive, but hey, good for them
Stranger: I suppose I just don't care much
You: I didn't either
You: It's just so simple and easy to do
You: Suppose not for you
You: The most peculiar thing, people think I don't like meat
You: I like it, sure, but it doesn't control my life
You: I don't live for eating it
You: if that makes any sense
Stranger: Are you convinced you're alleviating suffering?
Stranger: By doing this?
You: Huh? I don't think I'm alleviating suffering?
You: I'm taking a stand, doing what's right
You: It's also cheaper
You: and, if you think about it in terms of fast food, it's healthier
Stranger: Don't you think it's right because it alleviates suffering?
You: It's about taking a principled stand. Being vegetarian, and then vegan, is a stand against it, and the right thing to do.
You: of course within reason
Stranger: So you're convinced you're doing something right
You: It'd not wrong
You: In terms of changing factory farming, doesn't do much
You: Some argue supply/demand
You: But I believe it's not that simple
You: 0.5% of the US is vegan
You: ~ doesn't really factor into supply/demand
You: Although, meat consumption is decreasing
Stranger: If you don't miss a juicy cheeseburger, all power to you, but killing for taste isn't something I find inherited wrong, either
You: Is there a compassionate way to kill?
Stranger: Sure. Quickly
You: Well ya, since the conditions they're raised in is shitty to begin with
You: But what about good conditions, what
You: ...
You: Is it compassionate to kill a dog after isn't rescued?
You: It's still got half its life to live
You: It's like taking a middle aged man
Stranger: You act like a dog understand it's alive
You: and saying that euthanasia is the right way to go
You: ~ got a perfectly good life in front of em
Stranger: Perfectly good? The dog will be homeless and a stray
You: No no, within the context that they'll have enough food and such
You: Could be any animal
You: Could be a stray cat
You: not a house cat
You: I wouldn't say it's compassionate at all to end their life so early
You: just as a means to an end
Stranger: But the reason shelter dogs are killed is because the alternative is to let them lose as a stray. It's not like the shelter can support them all
You: I didn't mean a dog without an owner
You: Killing shelter dogs is completely fine. They'd suffer otherwise
Stranger: What are you referring to?
You: I wouldn't say it's compassionate at all to end one's life so early
You: I don't believe there is a humane way to kill and farm animal
You: humane - having or showing compassion or benevolence.
You: Basically production animals are put in contexts not optimal for them. Some of them get sick; the majority, though stressed, manage to survive, grow, reproduce, produce milk/eggs, and so on--sometimes despite being sick. The productivity of those who cope outweighs the loss associated with those who cannot.
You: Factory farming is not good.
Stranger: Why aren't you actually trying to change things if you're so adamant about this?
You: I'm not a politician
You: I'd love policy change, sure
Stranger: But you're not even trying?
You: well no, I'm an electrical engineering major
You: not poli sci
Stranger: You seem to regard factory farming like a concentration camp
Stranger: But you're still doing nothing
You: I'm becoming vegan
You: raising awareness in my daily life
You: social change is a lot faster than policy change
Stranger: You're convinced becoming vegan will lessen the suffering behind those walls in any measurable sense?
You: No
You: I've said no to that repeatedly
Stranger: If I truly thought there were concentration camps in my country, I would drive a truck through that fence and let all of those victims free
Stranger: but that's just me
You: Ha
You: That's actually in a movie
You: I've seen one Documentary and one film about animal suffering
You: (after I did my own research)
You: I also work next to a farm...
You: ironic you said that
You: The diary cows actually escaped one weekend
You: They flooded out. One of the milkers obviously forgot to close a gate
You: They started pouring out onto the grass
You: prouncing about
You: I helped them back in.
Stranger: Why?
You: Looked like they needed the help
You: and I was between them and the road
Stranger: You didn't care about the cows?
You: I do. The road is a dangerous place
You: Lots of hills
You: It was dangerous that they got to the road--for both humans and cows
You: ...don't know why the first milker was walking when they started pouring out
Stranger: Alright, well, I suppose I'm just not convinced you truly care, but you wouldn't care about that
You: I recommend watching Fast Food Nation
You: It's not really a documentary
Stranger: I'm fully aware of the conditions in factory farming
You: um...it's more about the slaughter part of it
You: immigrant workers
You: shit in the meat
You: stuff like that
You: fact food industry all tied in
Stranger: Yeah, usually slitting their throats and hanging them upside down
You: It doesn't show that
You: well, maybe there is a quick scene
Stranger: Would you ever eat human meat?
You: no
Stranger: Hm, why not?
You: Isn't that related to the murky origins of AIDS?
Stranger: How so?
You: Well, the origins of AIDS aren't absolutely known
You: I digress.
You: I wouldn't be in a situation where I'd need to eat human flesh
Stranger: Hypothetical
You: Like I'm on an island and people died?
Stranger: Sure
You: Why not?
You: There's still suffering involved in a vegan diet.
You: Gotta eat something though

No comments:

Post a Comment