Thursday, December 20, 2018

Latvia (Lat-vee-a) resident sports med doc

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
You both like medicine.
You: Hello. I'm Adam. I like to argue/discuss. Where are you from?
Stranger: form Latvia
Stranger: hello
Stranger: argue/discuss about what?
You: US
You: various topics
Stranger: okay. Are you a med student or what?
You: I'm not
Stranger: so why medicine?
Stranger: if you're not into it
You: biomed
You: egh
Stranger: okay
Stranger: it's like biology?
You: So what medicine do you study?
You: no
You: It's like electrical engineering
Stranger: I'm a doc already. Now getting through my residency
You: I see
You: What type
Stranger: Sports medicine
You: That sounds different
Stranger: different from what?
You: So do you mostly treat injuries?
Stranger: i'm on my first year of residency. And now i have my surgical rotation
Stranger: So i'm not doing much yet in sports medicine
You: ok
You: What do you think you will be doing in it?
Stranger: but i have three amateur sports teams, and i try to help them as much as i can.
Stranger: like conservative traumatology etc.
Stranger: musculoskeletal medicine.
You: Can you explain those?
Stranger: i can try
You: =)
Stranger: So let's imagine a healthy person
Stranger: and a person who has a serious traumatic injury, which requires a surgical intervention
Stranger: so there is a big gap in between these two
Stranger: and my goal is to master this gap. To be able to perform the most effective treatment for various conditions which doesn't require surgical intervention.
You: One moment. I have to go to the restroom.
Stranger: with physical procedures, muscle imbalance correction, etc
You: Ok
You: So is the opposite something like invasive traumatology?
Stranger: yes, we can call it like that. In my opinion a traumatologist should only do surgical procedures and spend his time at the theatre. but conditions like Tendinitis, tendinosis and other sports-associated syndromes are my thing.
You: and spend his time at the theatre?
Stranger: theatre is a place where surgeries are made
Stranger: i guess it is still called like that in english.
You: It must be a medical term
Stranger: it's because 100-200 years ago surgeries where performed in front of others, at big halls with seats for people
You: makes sense

No comments:

Post a Comment