Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Liz

You both like politics, philosophy, and literature.
You: Hello. I'm Adam, 24. I'd like to argue/discuss; hbu?
Stranger: I'm Liz, 22, same
You: Awesome!
You: Do you have a topic or two?
Stranger: Hmmm, in general, I'll talk about most things
Stranger: Favorite books, favorite writers, morality, etc...
Stranger: Normal day-to-day stuff
Stranger: Did you have anything in mind?
You: I do
Stranger: What?
You: But I'm game for those too
You: I usually argue for veganism, or buying local, based on certain animal's living conditions in the US (i.e., suffering, not against slaughter).
Stranger: Let's go with yours if you have one in mind
Stranger: I eat meat, but I think that the argument for veganism is pretty hard to refute
You: Why not be vegetarian then?
Stranger: Buying local is also good, but expensive too
Stranger: I've always liked to indulge the senses to some extent. I was also raised eating meeting and it's convenient. In general, though, I don't think I'd have a huge problem going vegetarian
Stranger: Unfortunately, this is one of those topics where I don't have much of a defense for my behavior
Stranger: Or at least not a defense I'd accept
You: Certain animals suffer unnecessarily due to certain practices inherent in factory farming.
You: Basically production animals are put in contexts not optimal for them. Some of them get sick; the majority, though stressed, manage to survive, grow, reproduce, produce milk/eggs, and so on--sometimes despite being sick. The productivity of those who cope outweighs the loss associated with those who cannot.
You: So the right thing to do--in regard to practical action that you or I can do--is either buy local "organic" meats and such, which is a bit expensive, or become vegetarian (and hopefully someday vegan).
Stranger: I agree factory farming is horrible
Stranger: I make an effort to buy organic meat, but what's that really mean?
You: Local.
You: Grass fed, etc
You: Cage free or whatever
Stranger: I think I can start doing that
You: =0
Stranger: I probably should anyway haha
Stranger: I could go vegetarian, too
You: I'd start with vegetarian
Stranger: Idk, that is harder to promise until I'm committed, though
You: Not like it's going to happen overnight
Stranger: I don't think it would be that hard for me not to buy more meat
Stranger: But at things like client lunches and stuff
Stranger: I get hungry lol
You: Eventually, once you've been vegetarian for 1-3ish years
You: Think about being flex vegan
You: That's where you are vegan at home
You: but vegetarian when going out to eat
You: It's flexible.
Stranger: At what age did you become vegetarian?
You: 22
Stranger: I'm 22 so
You: oh ya
You: lol
Stranger: I guess better late than never
Stranger: We'll see
Stranger: People ask me these questions more than ever before lol
Stranger: I think it's getting into the zeitgeist
You: what questions?
Stranger: About eating meat, if I should, how do I justify it, etc.
You: Oh, you have veg*an friends?
Stranger: Yes, actually
Stranger: My roommate's vegan
You: Damn
You: You're lucky
Stranger: Yeah, makes it easy
Stranger: If I wanted to switch
Stranger: Are you happy/enjoying life?
You: Well enough. I watch too many movies
Stranger: I'm on the internet too much
You: What are you favorites?
Stranger: My roommate is traveling for work and esp when she's gone
Stranger: Hmmm
Stranger: Hard question
You: Within your top 20
Stranger: There Will Be Blood
Stranger: I liked the recent movies BlackKklansman and Sorry to Bother You thought I'm still digesting them
Stranger: though
Stranger: I liked Blade Runner, not that it's auteur cinema. The movie Brazil stands out
Stranger: There must be more, though
Stranger: I've seen a lot
You: Jesus. I only know half these movies
Stranger: You?
Stranger: Birdman was good even if it's been hyped up a lot now
You: Um, well since you were naming fairly new ones
You: Before I Fall
You: Dredd
Stranger: Name some old ones if you want
You: Good Will Hunting
Stranger: I like that
You: MFA
You: A Cure for Wellness
You: Don't Breathe
You: Listening 2014
You: Jack Reacher
Stranger: These are all good recommendations since I need movies to watch
You: Prometheus
Stranger: Favorite books?
Stranger: I liked Moon a lot
You: Oh ya, I loved that one
You: Books, do you want fiction or nonfiction?
Stranger: Either/or
You: Self-Directed Behavior by Watson & Tharp
You: Frankenstein
You: The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential People
Stranger: Who's 1?
You: I don't remember. Muhammad I think
Stranger: Nonfiction: Catherine the Great, The Metaphysical Club, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, John Adams
You: (It was written by a white guy)
Stranger: Fiction: Catch-22, A Confederacy of Dunces, (this is sort of non-fiction, but) A Moveable Feast
Stranger: So why do you come on here?
You: Um, a lot of reasons
You: Sometimes I think of a new way I want to argue veganism. Sometimes I want to talk about absolute poverty. I try not to expect things
You: I've learned shitty conversations happen when I expect things
Stranger: What about absolute poverty?
Stranger: Speaking of poverty, Down and Out in Paris and London is a good book
You: Oh, by Orwell (looked it up)
Stranger: Yeah, it's quality
Stranger: Very documentary style
You: So lessening absolute (extreme) poverty abroad is my main cause area
You: You could say my passion
Stranger: What do you think is the best method to do this?
Stranger: Establishment style development or something else?
You: Nope. I've read things about macroeconomic, and taken related courses--but I'm talking about philanthropy.
You: It's related to this nascent movement, Effective Altruism.
You: wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_altruism
Stranger: Do you intend to go abroad?
You: No
Stranger: I've hard of effective altruism, albeit briefly
You: 1.1 Impartiality
1.2 Cause prioritization
1.3 Cost-effectiveness
1.4 Counterfactual reasoning
1.5 Room for more funding
Stranger: Do you think you'll have an opportunity to engaged in poverty alleviation efforts overseas?
Stranger: engage
Stranger: In some way, not necessarily by being there
You: Sorry if you don't like me doing this, but:
You: Effective altruists argue that counterfactual reasoning is important to determine which course of action maximizes positive impact. Many people assume that the best way to help people is through direct methods, such as working for a charity or providing social services,[27][28] but since charities and social-service providers usually can find people willing to work for them, effective altruists compare the amount of good somebody does in a conventional altruistic career to how much good would have been done had the next-best candidate been hired for the position.
You: ~ counterfactual reasoning
Stranger: Interesting
You: So I'm earning to give
You: Giving part of my income
You: Some "effective altruists" give 40% or more of their income
You: But I think it's better to invest most, and give more later
Stranger: Hmm, I give a fixed portion of my income, but it's less than that lol
Stranger: Yeah, I'd agree with that
You: I give 1% as a student (signed the Giving What We Can Pledge)
You: So I give a pittance, but it's consistent
Stranger: I give .7% rn
Stranger: So
Stranger: Not much either lol
You: ~1%
You: lol
You: rounding up
Stranger: Exactly
Stranger: But I'd like to increase that eventually
Stranger: I'm just aggressively saving now
Stranger: About 40% of my salary goes to the bank and stays there
Stranger: Or to a passively managed indexed mutual fund

No comments:

Post a Comment