Monday, December 3, 2018

"Organic"

You both like politics, philosophy, and feminism.
You: Hey. I'm Adam, 24 and from Wisconsin. I like to argue/discuss. Wbu?
Stranger: Hi, I'm Alexandria, 21, I live in California, and likewise
You: Did we already talk once?
Stranger: we may habe
Stranger: have
You: You sound awfully familiar
You: I usually talk about vegetarianism, absolute poverty
Stranger: I remember speaking to an Adam, and I remember speaking to someone from Wisconsin, but I don't particularly remember an Adam from Wisconsin
Stranger: neither rings a bell
Stranger: I may have mentioned I am from Syria
You: I don't remember a Californian from Syria
You: Want to get into a discussion about a specific topic?
Stranger: Well it's a pleasure to meet you for the first time then :)
Stranger: sure! you can go ahead first
You: Topic is vegetarianism
You: Is it hard to be a healthy vegetarian?
Stranger: I wouldn't know, I've never tried to be one. I assume it depends on the person, their commitment, the cultural foods of the area, etc
You: How about for you then?
You: I like discussing practical things
Stranger: personally I wouldn't chose to be a vegetarian
You: personally I wouldn't either
You: but I am
You: so again
You: Is it hard to be a healthy vegetarian?
Stranger: are you vegetarian for health reasons
Stranger: ?
Stranger: and for me, yeah it would be difficult
You: no
You: How would it be difficult?
You: aerochats.blogspot.com/2018/12/veganism.html
Stranger: because I find it difficult to commit to a lifestyle or diet for reasons that don't persuade me
You: I haven't said any reason yet
Stranger: I know, but, generally, from the ones ive heard
You: There's no point if you think it's unhealthy
You: I get this out of the way first now
You: So please just answer the question
You: not something far off
Stranger: i dont think its particularly unhealthy, vegetarians get their proteins in other wats
Stranger: ways
Stranger: I did answer the question?
You: not at all
You: for the sake of getting this out of the way
You: let's say you have a very good reason to be
You: I'd like to get this thing about nutrition
You: so we can actually get to something bigger
You: *out of the way
Stranger: I thought you said that you like to discuss practical things. why the hypothetical? the reasons dont persuade me. maybe it'll be easy to be a vegetarian when I am persuaded, but I am not, and that's my answer. i dont deal with hypotheticals
You: we haven't gotten to the reasons
You: it's pointless when the other thinks it's not healthy
You: I've done this many times
Stranger: why are you assuming that I've only received knowledge about vegetarianism from you
Stranger: i have outside knowledge
You: I haven't assumed so
Stranger: and their reasons dont persuade me
You: You can simply say, yes.
Stranger: yes to what?
You: it's easy to be vegetarian
Stranger: okay
You: the only reason it wouldn't be is (A)
You: you live with your parents
You: or (B) you're allergic to a lot of foods
Stranger: and?
You: So we can move on?
You: I'll assume so
You: Certain animals suffer unnecessarily due to certain practices inherent in factory farming.
You: Basically production animals are put in contexts not optimal for them. Some of them get sick; the majority, though stressed, manage to survive, grow, reproduce, produce milk/eggs, and so on--sometimes despite being sick. The productivity of those who cope outweighs the loss associated with those who cannot.
You: So the right thing to do--in regard to practical action that you or I can do--is either buy local "organic" meats and such, which is a bit expensive, or become vegetarian (and hopefully someday vegan).
Stranger: I only buy organic foods anyways
Stranger: so this issue doesnt concern me
You: Oh, you don't eat out?
You: And good for you
Stranger: I cook, it's cheaper
You: Good quality meat is expensive
You: I'm a cheapo
You: So ya, most aren't willing to do that.
Stranger: I mean, of course occasionally I'd eat out with friends or when Im lazy, but, I'd say only a handful of times a month. i mostly cook
You: Ya fine. You're a part of a very select few
You: good stuff though
Stranger: okay nice, so was that the end of our vegetarian discussion
You: Ok
You: So is there a humane way to kill?
Stranger: whichever way is quickest
You: humane - having or showing compassion or benevolence.
Stranger: or inflicts the least pain
You: So let's say someone rescues a cat from a hurricane. The next day, they kill it. Is that humane?
Stranger: why do they kill it?
You: (assuming someone was going to adopt that specific one)
You: They felt like it.
You: No reason.
You: Perhaps they wanted to feel what cat meat tasted like.
You: Is that compassionate or benevolent?
Stranger: was the person hungry with no other methods of getting food at that time?
You: Like you or me
You: I'm middle class
You: I'm not poor or living from paycheck to paycheck
Stranger: was the person that killed the cat to see what cat meat tasted like, hungry? with no other methods of getting food?
You: again, they're like you or me
Stranger: that doesn't answer the question
You: they're not in survival mode
You: they have food and money
You: they have supermarkets
Stranger: okay, in that case, then I don't understand why they would kill another animal if not to feed themselves. pretty sure thats sociopathic
You: no
You: They just want to feel the taste of the meat
You: There is no other value
You: They can eat other things just as nutritionally viable
You: The cats not big
You: It's not for a meal
Stranger: I don't see that as a justifiable reason to kill a cat
You: Why cut a cows life short?
Stranger: because as omnivores we also eat other animals
You: I'm talking about the grass fed ones your buy
You: So anything natural is good?
You: For the reason we have canine teeth?
Stranger: not everything natural is good, but, certainly being part of the food chain is just the way things are
Stranger: cattle need a natural predator
Stranger: in this case, humans
You: lol
Stranger: it controls their population so other cows can eat enough grass
You: it's not natural at all
Stranger: too many cows means less grass
You: you're talking about the wild
You: if anything, humans have the function of a paracite
Stranger: the method of killing cows in some cases is not natural, but the actual killing is natural
You: sure
You: deer hunting
You: keeping the population healthy
You: this is different
Stranger: deer hunting is mostly for sport and not for food
You: It keeps the population healthy
You: the deer live relatively long lives
Stranger: human deer hunting isnt what keeps their population healthy
You: it's a factor
Stranger: wolves, cougars, bears are the main factors
You: depends on the location
Stranger: they kill deer way more than some gamers
You: here in southern Wisconsin
You: we have none of those animals
You: anyway
You: I'm not against slaughter
You: Btw, I'm not against what you do. It's a lot more than most buying all organic animal products
Stranger: I'm not exactly sure to the point you're trying to reach
You: I'm just making the argument for drastically shortening their lives
You: We're not natural predators to them
You: We raise them
You: Supply and demand
Stranger: what defines a natural predator
You: In the wild, out of survival
You: Again, my point is their lives
You: They're just a means to an end
Stranger: humans are still animals though, we're still predators even if we're not in "the wild"
You: yes, and we enjoy eating meat
You: and we, in southern wisconsin, keep the deer population healthy
Stranger: so, is your point to raise the minimum age of slaughter
You: ...there is no minimum age
Stranger: okay, so is your point to create a minimum age?
You: and if there was, I couldn't change that
You: I'd rather have other policy changes
You: like banning battery cages
You: and debeaking
You: "This isn't about good people versus bad people. It's about the machine that's taking over this country. 

The land, the cattle, human beings. The machine don't give a shit.

Pennies a pound. Pennies a pound.
That's all it cares about. A few more pennies a pound."
Stranger: okay, seems pretty valid. im not against such reforms, but, personally I see greater issues to worry about. but, if I saw something like that on the Californian ballet of propositions, i'd vote for it
You: I agree
You: I think lessening absolute poverty is more important
Stranger: yes, I agree
You: ok, that's all I got
You: what do you study?
Stranger: International Relations :) Do you study? Or did?
You: electrical engineering
You: so what can you do with that degree?
You: sounds like you'll get to travel
You: =)
Stranger: sounds pretty nice :)
Stranger: well there's a lot. personally i want to go into International Law, and though the degree isn't necessary ofc, it's a good supplement. being a diplomat or someone in intelligence seems to be common with international relations
You: Ok, so FBI
Stranger: CIA :P
Stranger: FBI is domestic
If the above message says you have been reported to the FBI, it is not legitimate. Please ignore it.
Stranger: CIA does the international stuff
Stranger: but yeah, potentially


You: you're two hours behind me
Stranger: I am, it just struck midnight
You: What are your goals in life?


You: or what does your ideal life look like?

Stranger: My goals, hm, well, I have a lot. I want to be married soon, and raise a family. I want to finish Law School and practice international law for a little, but mostly I want to be a businesswoman and create companies. Afterwards, I want to go into politics

No comments:

Post a Comment