Monday, February 25, 2019

everyday sadism

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
You both like argument, and debate.
You: Hi
Stranger: hello
You: Do you have something in mind?
Stranger: sure, how the online landscape promotes everyday sadism
You: not direct sadism though, right?
You: more like a indirect-sadism?
You: or no?
Stranger: well, everyday sadism is sadism proper, but it's usually associated with trivialities rather than more serious stuff
Stranger: so the direct/indirect thing doesn't really come into play
You: so you mean a light sadism?
Stranger: right, you've heard of the banality of evil, right?
You: I haven't
Stranger: lol welp, lemme backspace
Stranger: banality of evil refers to how fundamentally immoral stuff creeps into everyday life through normalization
You: I just read about it
Stranger: similarly, everyday sadism refers to how we normalize sadistic behavior patterns in trivial contexts
Stranger: say, deriving pleasure from griefing a stranger in a videogame or tying to upset someone by trolling them with an extreme demeanor
You: ok
You: I was thinking of something more self-inflicted
You: as in, endlessly watching meaningless youtube content
You: or constantly, still meaninglessly, browsing reddit
Stranger: well, yeah, that's what I'm alluding to with regard to the online landscape
Stranger: social media platforms like youtube rely on consumer retention as consumers are the product sold to advertisers
Stranger: therefore, the youtube algorithm keys consumers into relevant content trains they'll sit around and watch video-after-video
Stranger: reddit is a bit more self-selecting, but it's no surprise that many are attracted to outrage culture-themed subs
Stranger: these platforms help to constitute the broader online landscape, which, I would argue, promotes everyday sadism
Stranger: to be clear, I'm not saying this is a consequence of the internet itself, but rather current social media groupings
You: Ludditum come take me away
Stranger: lol
Stranger: see
Stranger: re: my final point
Stranger: it doesn't have to be this way
You: but
You: ALL OR NOTHING
You: =)
Stranger: idk what you're getting at lol
You: nothing
You: I'm just fooling around I suppose
You: So how are you different?
You: What are you doing differently?
Stranger: I'm not--we're all bundles of contradictions yadda yadda--I
Stranger: I'm as much of a reproduction of the online landscape as is anyone immersed in it
Stranger: and, to be fair, that landscape is a reproduction of dysfunctional social institutions that existed before the advent of computers
You: eh, I don't think that too far
You: me and my perfect grammar
Stranger: my take is that the online landscape encouraging everyday sadism is a reflection of contemporary society doing more or less the same
Stranger: but there's some interplay as the internet has a kind of amplifying effect
Stranger: sadistic communities grow and previously unmatched rates
Stranger: they metastasize community ethoses directed by grievances rather than internal ideological coherence
You: I wouldn't go that far
You: It's holonic
You: Not simple cause and effect
Stranger: to be clear, I'm not offering a hard determinist account
You: I don't think it's society causing it, but both
You: together
Stranger: the dialectic corresponds to both the base and superstructure, and so it goes
Stranger: change is nonlinear etc
Stranger: that doesn't mean we shouldn't examine causes and effects?
You: I don't see what you're going with that
You: change is nonlinear
You: now it just sounds pretentious
Stranger: you think?
You: ya, what's linearity have to do with anything?
Stranger: the fact that, as you said, it's not simple cause-and-effect; there are externalities
You: I'm saying society doesn't cause it
You: it's not merely a reflection of contemporary society
You: like you were proposing
You: It's just not that simple
Stranger: I went ahead and confirmed that I'm not offering a hard determinist analysis
You: I have to go
Stranger: it is a reflection of contemporary society insofar as material conditions supersede cultural forces
Stranger: later gator

No comments:

Post a Comment