Friday, April 6, 2018

EA without EA

http://logs.omegle.com/3cecd1688fdfdc71
You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
You both like philosophy.
Stranger: hello
You: Hey
Stranger: how's it going?
You: Well.
Stranger: that's fantastic!
Stranger: what ideas have you been contemplating recently?
You: um...
You: related to philosophy...I'd have to think harder...
You: I guess I thought of a few better titles for this small movement I'm a part of
Stranger: very important for PR
You: I guess
You: What about yourself?
Stranger: Feminism for example, gets a lot of flack for its name alone
Stranger: I've been thinking the degree to which speech should be free
Stranger: It's tough nut to crack
You: Is that personally related to something going on in your life?
Stranger: well, the news (fake news particularly) and in general some debates that I have come across
Stranger: hate speech for example
Stranger: should we allow certain ideas to be advocated for (Nazism, Genocide, etc.)
Stranger: it's caused quite a storm in my head
You: I see
Stranger: I came across an old book (written in the 1850s) called On Liberty which discusses the topic. It's quite fascinating how much the whole idea of free speech has evolved
Stranger: anything on your side apart from names for movements?
You: I'm pretty dull
You: I only got about 4 hours of sleep
You: 13 hours ago
Stranger: like the CEO of Pepsi Co
Stranger: and no sleep is always fun!
Stranger: maybe you should go to bed
You: You know that book by Mill is pretty well known
Stranger: it is
You: It's 8PM here. So no thanks.
You: I don't know, it just seemed like you thought it was some arcane text ;)
Stranger: it wasn't my intention
Stranger: but it is quite old
You: Perhaps
You: Oh, I suppose an idea that was tossed around recently
You: is about what people will do with their time in the very far future.
Stranger: very far being complete automation?
You: Or how they will be able to use it compared to today
You: Near complete, yes
Stranger: we won't. we'll all be dead ;)
Stranger: they*
You: Let's say the human race manages to do commercial, then independent space exploration
You: Then would you think everyone would die?
Stranger: I was joking that superintelligent AI would kill us all
You: Oh
Stranger: as to how people would spend our time... honestly, no clue. it's such an uncharted territory that I just can't speculate
You: Depending on the extent of entertainment/soma
You: I think there will be a bunch of intellectual type groups
Stranger: we'll all be on drugs you mean?
You: Who basically do a lot of research
You: More specifically, I mean virtual reality for entertainment. And ya, the extent we take happy pills too
Stranger: yeah these would be some of the factors
Stranger: there's also the degree to which AI would outcompete humans
Stranger: also advancements in human enhancement
You: yes, I realize, a singularity
Stranger: and how humans actually behave when they don't actually need to work to sustain their existence
You: makes me think another bunch of people will have a much higher degree of suicidal thoughts
You: because life...meaningless (in a way)
Stranger: that's a fair thought
Stranger: conduct a study and try and see ;)
You: have you ever considered cryogenics?
Stranger: as in freezing yourself?
You: yep
You: like in the movies
Stranger: if it actually worked, sure
You: ?
You: Ah, I had thought
You: That there would be no point to do it if it worked
Stranger: why not?
You: Well, I take that back
You: So cryogenics is based on two main assuptions
You: That you will be able to be reanimated
You: And that technology in the future will make you essentially immortal
You: So I always just gloss over the first assuption
Stranger: I'd generalize the second assumption to human civilization continuing in an upward trajectory in terms of social and scientific advancements
Stranger: and I'm quite optimistic, so I'd freeze myself
You: Initially I would too
You: But on second thoughts, I believe it'd be morally wrong
Stranger: forsaking everyone around you?
You: well, sort of the opposite
You: everyone not by me (since I'm in the US)
You: People in extreme/absolute poverty
You: $28k could do a lot of good
You: (That figure seems a small for cryogenics subscriptions I've come across anyway)
Stranger: so your argument is that it'd be immoral since the money could be used to help other people?
You: Significantly help other people
You: Not just a happier or more cushier life
You: I'd even say, save them from an early death
Stranger: Let me reductio ad absurdum this
Stranger: buying any luxury items other than the bear minimum for physical and psychological wellbeing is immoral
You: Nope
You: Funny you say that
You: That's exactly the idea some people get about...
Stranger: "the idea some people get about"?
You: I'm looking for a quote...
Stranger: but wasn't your argument for immorality based on the money being used to help people?
You: yes, hold on
Stranger: there is an economics argument that I can think of
Stranger: still looking?
You: Well, I want to find a quote that goes with this other quote
You: Because it's kind of dangling
You: So this argument has been already laid out by a contemporary philosopher
Stranger: who?
You: Quote 1:
You: "Suffering and death from lack of food, shelter and medical care are bad".[8]
"If it is in our power to prevent something bad from happening, without thereby sacrificing anything of comparable moral importance, then we ought, morally, to do it".[8]
You: Quote 2:
You: "I therefore used the phrase 'comparable moral importance' rather than 'comparable suffering', in order to allow readers to judge for themselves what is of comparable moral importance."
Stranger: interesting ideas
You: So it's really not about pinching pennies, but practicality
You: I mean, you could short-circuit the whole thing, even before getting into it
You: By the is-ought debate
Stranger: but let me retort and show that my reductio ad absurdum and cryogenics are categorically the same from the moral prospective you presented
You: And then I would point to how that's not practical
Stranger: not practical?
You: Yes, and with that marginal
You: A pack of gum isn't going to make a break anyone
Stranger: sure, you can think of a pack of gum. or you can think of a more expensive car. or a bigger house
You: For my sake, just want to restate: "Buying any luxury items other than the bare minimum for physical and psychological wellbeing is immoral"
Stranger: or some recreational activities
You: Right, and in your example I believe a luxurious car, and a luxury house is immoral
Stranger: yup. just taking your moral reasoning to their ridiculous conclusion
You: What ridiculous conclustion?
Stranger: therefore you are concluding that an incredible number of people are immoral. Which is fair
You: Ya, I am claiming that.
You: More like they don't really know though
You: Ignorance, unawareness
Stranger: or they just don't see it this way
You: I'm talking about the majority of people
Stranger: and I'm saying that they might not see spending significant amounts of money on personal luxuries as immoral
You: You're right, some are aware though
You: "[I]f I had a maximally informed and coherent and unified set of set, then what I would desire, under the constraint of being concerned with human flourishing, impartially conceived, would be to give whatever I can spare to famine relief; but without that constraint, my overriding desire would be to own a Porsche."
You: Ya, and I'm saying
You: they're unaware that they can help the people I initially mentioned
You: ~ in regard to cryogenics
You: Don't worry though. I'm not here to advocate.
Stranger: so just to clarify: your argument for cryogenics being immoral is that the great amount of money it'd require can be used to significantly improve the lives of other people. And if you extrapolate that idea, then any instance where an individual spends a significant amount of money on a personal luxury instead of donating it, they are being immoral
You: yep
You: So this is one of Peter Singer's arguments.
Stranger: against cryogenics or american capitalism?
You: Maybe. Maybe the actual argument is saying something about capitalism
Stranger: if you extrapolate it, it does :P
You: I suppose
You: Well, I gotta go
Stranger: sweet dreams
You have disconnected.

No comments:

Post a Comment