Saturday, April 21, 2018

EA 11/26/17

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
Stranger's college: mit.edu
You: Hello, 23. Most interested in a dialogue about Effective Altruism with a focus on lessening absolute poverty
Stranger: WAIT
Stranger: HELLO THERE
Stranger: Fellow EA
You: ya?
Stranger: Development economics PhD
Stranger: Who are you
You: Electrical Engineering undergrad
You: near vegetarian
Stranger: Dang, I get on Omegle for the first time in months, and bump into a global poverty EA in less than two minutes.
Stranger: Same, same
Stranger: "Vegeflexible"
Stranger: So what's on your mind?
Stranger: I'm Nils, btw.
You: Adam
You: What do you think about AI risk?
Stranger: Nice to meet you, Adam
Stranger: I think it's probably very important, but it's also pretty far outside my wheelhouse, so I direct my energy at other things.
You: I probably think so too
You: I wouldn't want to fund it
Stranger: As an EE undergrad, you have time to switch tracks, though
You: I don't know why I'd want to go into CS
You: Damn, this is just so unexpected
You: Most people on Omegle confuse EA for regular altruism
Stranger: I do a dose of that too haha
You: And then go off about some political theory that has nothing to do with anything
You: So how is your lifestyle different from other college students?
Stranger: Hm. Not much different, to be honest. Somewhat more frugal. Less socialization.
You: Or what are some things that you believe that are different?
You: What makes you unique?
Stranger: I don't know of much about me that is both interesting and makes me unique.
You: Doesn't have to be interesting ;)
You: What's your dream job?
Stranger: Devo economist at an NGO, perhaps. Gates Foundation?
Stranger: Family lives in Seattle, so that would be nice.
Stranger: Less pressure than academia.
You: What's Devo mean?
Stranger: Development, sorry.
You: Oughhhh, ok ok
You: So I just gave a brief 20 min presentation about absolute poverty to my local Engineers Without Borders
Stranger: Nice! What were your main points?
You: I touched on the definition of extreme and relative poverty, and why that's meaningful. What the crowding out effect is related to philanthropy (and I should've made the explicit point why some donation just based on good intention could be bad). And what the poverty trap is in a nutshell
You: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_poverty#/media/File:USAID_Projections.png
Stranger: I always say the most important things to know are 1. There's a lot of poverty and 2. It's getting better fast.
You: The 40% in 1990 going down to 20% in 2010 for extreme poverty
You: What other main points would you touch on?
Stranger: Hmmmm
Stranger: We don't know of any silver bullets
Stranger: Conflict is a major source of poverty
Stranger: It's strongly gendered – hits women and children harder
You: But I mean concepts, condensed ideas...ok
You: yes empowering women
Stranger: Employment is amazing if we can figure out how to create it
Stranger: Most "aid" is spent by developing country governments
Stranger: Overpopulation is probably not a first-order problem
Stranger: Corruption is probably not a first-order problem
You: What's a first-order problem?
Stranger: Oh, a "most important" problem
Stranger: Economese, sorry
Stranger: As opposed to a second-order problem which has a smaller marginal effect
Stranger: It's most important to identify and fix first-order problems
You: This is good stuff. I'm glad our paths crossed
Stranger: Likewise. :-)
Stranger: Diseases that stunt/cripple have a much higher burden than diseases that kill
Stranger: And diseases that kill very young or very old have a lower burden than those that kill young adults
You: Interesting interesting
Stranger: This is why malaria and HIV are much worse than cancer or influenza
You: Ohhh
You: Crap, this is really going to help me
You: I'm alone here in Platteville
Stranger: Yeah, Cambridge is one of the epicenters
Stranger: I'm lucky
You: So I'm interested in how to categorize people within a group
Stranger: What's the nearest EA hub?
You: Madison
You: But I'm never there long enough
You: Milwaukee too, same excuse
You: How would you categorize, into broad groups, members in your EA group?
Stranger: Hm
Stranger: Area of primary interest, and career type.
Stranger: Earning/research/other.
You: Aw, I was hoping for a category that was more scandalous
Stranger: Like?
You: Hmmm
You: something along the lines of certain people who don't really care I guess
Stranger: Virtue signallers?
You: In Engineers Without Borders there are people who just want to go on the trip abroad
Stranger: Oh, that's another categorization: utilitarians, deontologists, virtue ethicists, nihilists
You: damn, how many are there? in Cambridge
Stranger: EAs?
You: ya
Stranger: Maybe a few hundred who show up to one of the main groups regularly.
Stranger: There are about… five large groups?
You: Jesus
You: That's insane!
Stranger: Yeah. Here, SF, and Oxford are hotbeds.
You: How about extremists?
Stranger: I'm not sure I know any.
You: probably a subcategory of the utilitarians
You: To give you a picture, I've contemplated bank robbery
Stranger: I know people who engage in thought experiments along those lines, but nobody who actually acts on them.
You: What kind of thought experiments do you recall?
Stranger: Political assassination, targeted pandemics, eugenics
You: Wough
You: That's a little too extreme
You: I mean, even a utilitarianist still should value basic human right, such as life
You: But you haven't heard of some type of non-violent (no killing) bank robbery before?
Stranger: A utilitarian doesn't necessarily recognize "rights".
Stranger: I have.
You: I wouldn't call them rights either, but...eh...ok
You: So what did they conclude about the bank robbery or similar idea?
Stranger: Almost certainly a bad idea.
Stranger: Illegal actions have a huge number of downsides.
You: Besides getting caught?
Stranger: That should not be discounted, but yes. Erosion of social norms is a big one.
You: One bank robbery?
Stranger: Yes.
You: I supppppose you could take the slippery slope argument
Stranger: It has a marginal benefit and marginal cost.
Stranger: Also, the upside to bank robbery is terrible.
Stranger: The average haul is a couple thousand dollars if I remember correctly.
You: I mean, movie-like bank robbery
You: But yes, I know what you're talking about
You: Spy movie type
You: or something ingenious like Inside Man
You: (not like Hell or High Water)
You: sorry if that sounds confusing, bit of jumbled ideas
Stranger: Movie-bank robberies are very difficult to pull off
You: I realize
You: The more realistic "Hell or High Water" type robberies (small bills) would be the type with too much risk and not enough offset benefit
You: I mean the Mission Impossible type
You: Team of elite individuals
You: pooling their skills and expertise
Stranger: Yeah you're not going to succeed where career criminals have failed.
You: I don't know what you mean
You: I didn't say I have such elite skills
You: It would be strategic to plan something much later in one's life though. Lots of time to hone one of the needed skill sets
Stranger: How much do you expect a heist to take?
You: How much what?
Stranger: cash
You: I'm just talking, just like the crazy negative utilitarians have outlandish ideas.
You: Oh, pull in
You: I think that would depend on the type of heist, type of bank, location
You: Why, what do you think is the break-even point?
Stranger: I don't think there is one.
Stranger: A typical branch probably has like $10-20K
Stranger: And anything larger will get you caught
Stranger: You're better off just… working.
You: Well, even that--there are marked bills
You: And I think you bring up a really good point
You: Instead of honing one's skill-set in a particular area of the heist, they could just do freelance work (such as programming)
Stranger: Think of it this way
Stranger: If there were a break-even point, then criminal enterprises would do bank robberies
Stranger: They don't
You: I disagree
You: Criminal enterprises don't care about exploiting women, hurting other people
You: Robbing something with an elite team...agh, someday I hope an EA will indulge me with this idea
You: =)
Stranger: I don't understand. If they have no morals, doesn't think give them even more latitude for success?
Stranger: *this
You: Oh, back to why criminal organizations don't rob banks? They have their hands in far less rigorous dealings. Like I mentioned, elite team--what criminal organization has individuals they specially train or contract to do such jobs?
You: I presume selling drugs, with no super-specialized knowledge or experience, is a hell of a lot simpler than conducting a heist
Stranger: If there is profit in it, it should happen
Stranger: Unless you think there is a shortage of unscrupulous people
You: Tens of years of training and planning?
You: What criminal organization would think of that?
Stranger: One that thinks like you
You: Yes, but like I said, other dealings is much simpler to manage
You: If they were me, and I was you, and you were the other guy--they would still be into making money though all the much simpler, and quicker methods of illegal money making
You: human trafficking, prostitution, drug distribution, money laundering,etc
You: Specifically because they don't care about ethics or the suffering of other people--that's why they wouldn't try to pull something off that would not hurt anybody

No comments:

Post a Comment