Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Almost EA chat

You both like philosophy.
You: Hello. 23. What city are you from?
Stranger: I live in Australia
You: Ok
Stranger: I'm 22
Stranger: what's up?
You: What do you read?
Stranger: Currently reading metaphysics and the origins of political order
You: by Francis Fukuyama?
Stranger: Yeah
You: Cool beans
Stranger: you read it?
You: Na, just looked it up
Stranger: wbu'
You: A brief pdf about Effective Altruism
Stranger: Nice
Stranger: I've heard about that before
You: Do you know Peter Singer?
Stranger: Yeah
You: Which ideas do you know of his?
Stranger: So I know of his biggest argument
Stranger: I think it was articulated in famine, affluence and morality
You: Awesome
Stranger: basically that we should give as much of our wealth away without sacrificing anything of comparable moral worth? or something
You: yes, verbatim
You: Do you or have you studied philosophy?
Stranger: Not formally, yourself?
You: Not this stuff formally
You: I'm an electrical engineering senior
You: But I enjoy reading philosophy
Stranger: Oh true
Stranger: Where are you from?
You: Wisconsin
Stranger: Nice
Stranger: I'm actually two years into my psychology degree but I intend on switching to politics and philosophy
Stranger: far more interesting, to me at least
Stranger: Plus, doing research in psychology requires $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
You: Haha
You: I would've minored in psychology
Stranger: Are you interested in metaethics?
You: Well yes, I'm interested in morality in the first place
You: ~ most
Stranger: Metaethics is fascinating to me
Stranger: I originally tried disputing Singer's argument in my mind
Stranger: but I didn't realise I was disputing underlying metaethical principles
Stranger: instead of his actual argument
You: hugh, that's interesting
Stranger: Well, you are familiar with his pond analogy?
You: Yes
You: I'm very much into Effective Altruism
You: so yes, that's very closely tied
Stranger: I'm not read up on effective altruism, but I do have some friends who are masters students in philosophy and very into that
Stranger: I think I will read Practical Ethics soon
Stranger: I wish I was born in the future where I could USB all these books into my mind
You: I read it, it's a good intro into EA
You: Ya, me too
Stranger: Have you read, reasons and persons?
You: I haven't
Stranger: I thought Parfit was supposed to be somehow tied to altruism
Stranger: or effective altruism
You: He sounds awfully familiar

Stranger: The book is very dense, I've tried it once but I don't think I'm read up enough on ethics to comprehend it sufficiently
Stranger: metaethically speaking, where would you consider yourself?
Stranger: e.g. realist, nonrealist, emotivist, subjectivist etc
Stranger: cognitivist

No comments:

Post a Comment