Saturday, October 15, 2016

direct actions, squats, rallies, election campaigns "practical stuff"

You both like activism.
Stranger: you do activism?
You: I suppose
You: Do you?
Stranger: not much atm, i used to
You: which?
Stranger: uh, well, mainly climate stuff, anti-capitalist, feminism...
Stranger: what do you do?
You: lessen extreme poverty
You: I'm a feminist though in a light sense of the term
Stranger: ah, right :)
You: I may be anti-capitalist
You: Thomas Pogge
Stranger: it's a pretty broad term
You: haven't read too much about what he's saying these days though
You: true that
You: although, climate change...I haven't done anything for that
Stranger: what exactly do you mean by lessen extreme poverty, like, rallys, soup kitchens?
You: I live in the US. There is very little extreme poverty--none that I can touch anyway.
You: (here)
You: Just a sec...
You: So, like I was saying, poverty can be divided into two main camps:
You: extreme (e.g., non-US) and relative (e.g., US)
Stranger: so you mainly do things abroad, or?
You: no, that's too costly
You: I give to foreign things, Kiva (miro-loans) or GiveDirectly
You: if you look up Effective Altruism
You: you'll get where I'm coming from
Stranger: right
Stranger: it all sounds super academic compared to what I did
Stranger: I did more direct actions, squats, rallies, election campaigns
Stranger: you know, all the practical stuff :)
You: GiveDirectly is actually more practical
You: the term you mean is "visible"

No comments:

Post a Comment