Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Buddhism

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
You both like buddhism.
Stranger: Hello.
You: hello
Stranger: I'm trying to come up with something interesting to say.
You: interesting
Stranger: Is the word "interesting" interesting?
You: no
Stranger: People on Omegle are often quick to judge.
Stranger: I find that it is difficult to get people not to hang up immediately.
You: teach me what you know
Stranger: You have to be prepared to fail,
Stranger: but it also helps to be able to come with something different all the time.
Stranger: If the other person senses that the conversation is scripted in some way, it ceases to be engaging.
You: I don't like how you said that last one, since I've never thought of a conversation as "scripted" but I think there might be some truth to it
Stranger: Most conversations are scripted to a certain extent.
Stranger: For example, the first thing I said was "Hello."
Stranger: This word is meaningful because of its placement in the conversation. It is a friendly greeting.
You: that's a lot of words to explain what I already knew
You: but I get your point a tad better
Stranger: I like to take a close look at those things in conversations that people "already know."
Stranger: I have found that many of the little social rituals we think are obvious turn out not to be.
Stranger: For example, when people sneeze, it's common to say, "Bless you."
You: not in college
Stranger: Many people think they know the reason for this ritual, but I have never heard an explanation that I find satisfying.
You: no one does
Stranger: No one in college says "Bless you"?
You: not since I've been here
You: 2+ semesters
Stranger: What do you do when someone sneezes?
You: ignore it
You: we usually keep one urnal inbetween us in the bathroom though
Stranger: Why?
You: don't want another guy seeing out dick or don't want to see another dick
Stranger: What would happen if someone saw your dick?
You: nothing
Stranger: Ha ha ha
You: it's just a social comfort barrier
You: it breaks every time in this one building between classes though, since there are only 4 lined in a row
Stranger: People are so weird in bathrooms.
Stranger: So what's your major?
You: electrical engineering
You: what can you teach me about Buddhism?
Stranger: Well, what would you like to know about Buddhism?
You: the basics to middle intensity information
You: I'm very early on
Stranger: Okay.
Stranger: It started in India. There was a guy named Siddhartha Gautama, who grew up as a Hindu prince.
Stranger: He was born sometime around 480 BCE, in northeastern India.
Stranger: When he was about 29 years old, he decided he wanted to become a wandering monk. There were a lot of different ascetic traditions in India at that time.
Stranger: Even though he already has a wife and a young son, he left them to become a monk.
Stranger: He studied under several different teachers, and practiced severe physical austerities, like fasting for many days at a time,
Stranger: sleeping outside in harsh weather,
Stranger: begging for food,
Stranger: doing all kinds of painful things in an attempt to achieve some greater understanding of reality.
Stranger: After about five years of these practices, he decided that neither a comfortable life as a prince, nor a harsh life of extreme asceticism,
Stranger: were helping him to achieve a better understanding of reality.
You: middle road
Stranger: So, he decided to eat a full meal, for the first time in years, and then sat under a tree to meditate until he had things sorted out once and for all.
Stranger: After a long period of meditation, he achieved a mental state called nirvana, the cessation of all suffering.
Stranger: He realized that his understanding of himself as a discrete ego was just a mental construction, and that there really is no such things as a permanent "self" or "soul."
Stranger: He decided to preach this new doctrine to the other ascetics he had met over the years,
Stranger: and they soon became the first Buddhist monks.
Stranger: The Buddha's teaching is often summarized in four statements called The Four Noble Truths:
You: I memorized them, almost
Stranger: 1) All phenomenal existence is suffering. 2) Suffering is caused by desire. 3) Elimination of desire eliminates suffering. 4) Desire can be eliminated by following the Eightfold Path, a set of ethical guidelines for leading a good life.
You: some deeper stuff?
Stranger: Ha ha, okay.
Stranger: It is easy enough to say that there is no self, but how can we some to realize firsthand that there is no self?
Stranger: The realization of no-self (anatman) is the key to achieving liberation from the world.
Stranger: There are various meditation practices that Buddhists use to understand the doctrine of anatman.
Stranger: One is to sit very still, and concentrate on the breathing.
Stranger: When you breathe in, think to yourself, "I am breathing in," and do not think of anything else.
Stranger: When you breathe out, think to yourself, "I am breathing out," and do not think of anything else.
You: awwwwww
Stranger: It sounds easy enough, but it can actually be quite difficult to focus the mind on only one thing.
Stranger: There are also body awareness exercises, in which the meditator reviews his/her body, one part at a time, thinking, "I have hair. I have eyeballs. I have a nose. I have a mouth. I have lungs. I have intestines." and so forth, reviewing every single nameable part of the body.
Stranger: Again, it sounds very simple, but it can be very difficult to maintain a constant discipline of doing these practices, which is necessary for achieving the benefits.
You: I think about so many things when I meditate, so it does not seem like I ever truly meditate
Stranger: You probably are not meditating, then.
Stranger: It takes time to be able to meditate properly.
Stranger: One thing that is difficult for people in the beginning is intrusive thoughts, like "I am so hungry right now," "I wonder how long I have been meditating," "this is so boring," "why am I doing this," etc.
Stranger: And then, people can make these intrusive thoughts worse, thinking, "Shit, I'm not supposed to be thinking about those things," "let's get back on track," "stop thinking about a hamburger," etc.
Stranger: Probably the best way to deal with those kinds of thoughts is to simply acknowledge them, and let them pass away.
You: ok, good
Stranger: Say to yourself, "It's okay for me to have these thoughts, but I'm going to let them pass on now."
Stranger: Don't punish yourself for trying to meditate.
Stranger: Just think, "These are thoughts rising up, now they are passing away."
Stranger: Try not to think about how long you have been sitting there.
Stranger: If you do, just think, "This is another thought, rising up and passing away."
Stranger: Anytime you have a stray thought, just think, "This is a thought, rising up and passing away."
Stranger: Eventually it will become natural for you to focus on the meditation itself, not on the stray thoughts.
Stranger: When you do this, you will find that you enter into a deeper consciousness.
Stranger: If you are too concerned about your progress, you will lose it.
Stranger: Remember, the self is the real problem in all of this.
Stranger: If you think, "I'm not making any progress," or if you think, "Wow, I'm making so much progress,"
Stranger: those can be equally bad in making progress.
Stranger: You don't need to punish yourself, though.
Stranger: Just tell yourself, "Okay, those are just more thoughts, rising up and passing away."
Stranger: If you feel like you can't meditate anymore, then stop. You don't need to do it for a particular amount of time.
Stranger: It helps to try to increase the time gradually, but there is no best length of time for meditating.
Stranger: It's also useful to do it during a time when things around you are quiet.
You: how much do you meditate for
Stranger: It depends. Sometimes only a few minutes, sometimes for an hour.
You: I have 25 dB earmuffs
You: that I use
Stranger: Some nights I don't do it at all.
Stranger: Earmuffs, I haven't tried that.
Stranger: Sometimes I plug up my ears with my fingers.
You: you do it before sleep?
Stranger: Yeah, usually around 12:30 am or 1:00 am. My wife like to go to sleep around midnight, so I usually get up after that and do it. It's quieter at that time.
You: what! what time do you wake?
Stranger: 7:30 am or 8:00 am
You: sleepyti.me
Stranger: Ha ha
You: it is a website
Stranger: Yes, I know
You: cool
Stranger: Thanks, this is pretty useful
Stranger: It's telling me I should go to sleep around 2:30 am
Stranger: I think that is pretty typical for me
You: I don't use it anymore; it's either 6 or 7:30 hours from time I sleep (increments of 90 min)
Stranger: Well, I have found my body is pretty good at knowing when to go to sleep and wake up.
Stranger: I don't have a very rigid schedule most days, so it's okay for me to sleep in if I want to.
You: any more stuff about Buddhism? does your wife practice too?
Stranger: No, I'm trying to get her interested in it, but I don't think she wants to put in the effort of meditating. That's okay with me. It's not for everybody.
You: =)
Stranger: I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, though. I'm not sure exactly what you want to know. The basics are pretty simple, really.
Stranger: The hard part is actually doing it.
You: do you have skype?
Stranger: No, no Facebook or Skype.
You: then how
Stranger: How what?
You: questions I have
Stranger: Just ask.
You: I cant think of them all right at this moment
Stranger: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
Stranger: That website is pretty good.
Stranger: It has translations of some of the oldest Buddhist texts from the Theravada tradition, which is the Buddhist tradition now practiced in Sri Lanka.
You: aw, this is great!
Stranger: I guess the best piece of advice I can offer is not to be discouraged if you don't notice anything right away.
Stranger: There's no magic pill that leads to enlightenment.
Stranger: Try not to be too obsessed with the meditation aspect, either.
Stranger: You will notice that most Buddhist texts hardly talk about meditation at all.
Stranger: It's actually considered by many monks to be a very minor part of their practice.
Stranger: And some monks don't meditate at all.
You: wow, that was unexpected
Stranger: Yeah, I think the Buddhist tradition is often not portrayed very accurately in the English-speaking world.
Stranger: People tend to focus more on things they imagine Buddhism should be about instead of what it is.
Stranger: Reading lots of original texts is a good way to sort out what is bullshit and what isn't.
Stranger: I would recommend avoiding any of the contemporary "self help"-style books pretending to be using a Buddhist outlook.
You: ok, will do
Stranger: But you can do whatever you want, also. If something works for you, use that.
Stranger: I just tend to be very wary of quick fixes.
Stranger: Buddhist psychology is quite deep. It can take a whole lifetime to begin to appreciate it.
You: allright
You: thanks again
You: any parting words?
Stranger: Be good to people, and they will be good to you. We inflict on others the pain that we imagine they do to us.
Stranger: Good luck!
Stranger has disconnected.

No comments:

Post a Comment