Monday, September 16, 2019

Instead of the weather outside, climate change

The stranger likes wisconsin,madison
>Auto: asl?
>Stranger: m25
>Stranger: you?
>You: f22
>Stranger: hey, how's your weekend going?
>You: fine
>Stranger: Sounds better than a bad weekend at least
>Stranger: Are you a student at UW?
>You: ya
>Stranger: oh nice! What year are you in?
>You: last
>You: not here to chit chat
>Stranger: oh what are you here for then?
>You: intelligent chat
>Stranger: What classifies as intelligent chat?
>You: not chit chat
>You: =)
>Stranger: Hahaha very specific
>Stranger: I feel like everyone would classify each differently though
>You: slightly
>You: but not significantly
>You: so instead of talking about person specific things like eye color or location or degree path...
>You: other topics
>Stranger: So...more philosophical?
>You: no
>You: instead of the weather outside, climate change
>You: something like taht
>Stranger: Oh like how the climate changed deniers running the government are killing us?
>You: I don't think there are that many, so meh
>You: I prefer discussing something like factory farming
>You: do you know about it?
>Stranger: Havent heard the term before
>Stranger: Google search brings up some very cramped, unpleasant looking farms
>You: sounds about right
>Stranger: So factory farming is the term they coined for the mass production of farm animals, which they usually just send to the slaughter house?
>You: could be dairy cows too or
>You: broiler hens, battery cages, etc
>Stranger: do they have these in Wisconsin? I feel like every time I've seen a Wi farm, it never looks like those
>You: I know right!
>You: But it is the most common--even in WI
>You: it's just that they're not so easily viewable
>Stranger: Yeah I suppose... usually it's only on the highway do I see all the cows out roaming the ranch
>You: like, they're also not easy to recognize as farms
>You: ya, those are the good few
>Stranger: I think most farms I've been to, it's for the breakfast on the farm event they hold throughout the summer at certain farms
>You: yes, I'm a WI native
>Stranger: But I think those are usually picked out, so either they clean them up or they purposely avoid such factory farms
>Stranger:
 Same here
>You: right
>You: still pretty miserable tho, if you look at their stalls
>You: going to and from the same place
>Stranger: ha what stalls. it's just floor and the next animal is your wall
>You: concrete slab to milking parlor two or usually three times a day
>You: the steal bars separating each stall
>Stranger: I'm rather surprised with how some animals, they can call animal abuse on simply kicking a dog once, but they see nothing wrong with housing such animals like that
>You: never actually going outside...
>You: right
>You: but we all contribute to it
>You: demand it
>Stranger: Yeah that's true
>Stranger: I'm sure there are ways to make it more humane while keeping such farms going, but obviously no one likes spending the money so they can max their profits
>You: I mean, there are options out there
>You: grass fed beef
>You: almond milk
>You: soy milk, oat, etc
>You: know any cooking youtube channels?
>Stranger: No common ones. Think I've seen a few that will cook on occasion, but they're not dedicated to cooking
>Stranger: Unfortunately, some of those food options get to be more expensive than what most people use, and a lot of people can barely afford the cheap stuff. Would be hard to get everyone to switch over to the alternative options
>You: um, that's really only true for milk
>You: there are other nutritious things to drink 
>You: but ya, that protein almond milk is more expensive
>You: dairy products are heavily subsidized as it is
>You: really not their true prices
>You: in hs remember being shocked that the gov't bought huge quantities of milk from farmers--and then dumped it out on the roadside
>You: some famous picture of that...don't remember the name
>Stranger: Maybe I dont adventure enough at the store then. Usually just grab what I have been grabbing and get out
>Stranger: I dont recall that at all
>You: I can't find it
>Stranger: I'm seeing either a lot of old stuff about milk dumping, or just regular articles about farmers dumping milk during surplus
>You:
 either way, our gov't still has heavily subsides for dairy
>Stranger:
 Our government seems to be involved in a lot more things than it should be.
>Stranger: Though it usually seems to be helpful if there's ever actually an issue
>You: I don't know politics that much to know
>Stranger: I dont really follow a lot either, but generally the government likes to get involved in the big industries, because usually by helping them out a little, the industry will be more likely to donate to their pockets
>You: I just read that even though dairy is still heavily subsidized, the subsidies are declining...
>You: really wonder why it's subsidized in the first place...
>Stranger: Not sure on that one
>You: "pacify poor people from price volatility"
>Stranger: But one thing that just popped up with that is the subsidies are causing surplus of supply. So probably the only reason to lower subsidies is to stop over producing
>Stranger: usda has a whole list of dairy policies
>Stranger: it brings up "class III milk"
I didn't even know milk had classes
>You: I just know some milk, usually overseas, is pasteurized at high temperature...has some different name
>You: UHT
>You: Ultra-high-temperature processing
>You: has a different taste I'm told
>You: do you have discord?
>Stranger: no?
>You: ok, well I gotta get back to my homework
>You: was nice chatting with you
>Stranger: is it on factory farming? haha
>You: no
>You: nothing about my degree is related to animal suffering
>Stranger: ah I see
>You: bye
>Stranger: Okay well have fun with your homework!
>You: thx
Connected for 39 minutes and 48 seconds.
You have disconnected!


No comments:

Post a Comment