Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Philosophy

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
You both like debate.
You: Hello
Stranger: Hi, how are you?
You: I'm well
You: & you?
Stranger: Doing great
Stranger: What's on your mind?
You: Various
Stranger: Anything you'd like to have a debate about?
You: There are a few
You: What about you?
You: Do you have a particular area of expertise or research?
Stranger: Certain obscure areas of philosophy
You: What in?
You: Morality, epistemology, what?
Stranger: Metaphysics, mostly
You: Ok
You: So what in metaphysics?
Stranger: Well that's a pretty broad question, generally. I suppose notions of cause and infinity
Stranger: As well as arborescent/rhizomatic structures
Stranger: Notions around categorization
You: Ok
You: What about morality?
You: That's easier to debate
Stranger: Sure
Stranger: I tend towards deontology
You: What kind?
Stranger: Roughly Kantian, especially as the tradition has been developed by people like Arendt
You: What do you think of Habermas?
Stranger: Well, his work is both interesting and intensely boring.
You: Oh really
Stranger: I think the project is solid, definitely
You: The project?
Stranger: Well, the issue is to deal with the western hegemony inherent in universal values, as I've understood it
Stranger: Do you think it's possible to debate a nihilist?
You: Um, maybe a little
You: I wouldn't be the one to do it
Stranger: Fair enough
Stranger: I think that's one issue I disagree with Habermas about
Stranger: I think you have a duty to debate nihilists
You: I debate anyone
You: It's just I don't have the know-how for a hardcore nihilist
Stranger: That's fair, for sure. So, what is your stance on morality?
You: I like Habermas' deontology, but I honestly haven't read too far =)
You: I mainly like catching philosophy undergrads thinking all deontologists are classical
You: as if there's only classical Kantism and classical utilitarianism
You: or that we decide which we like based on our personality
Stranger: oh, yeah, I guess. Though I hate cheap philosophy gotchas
Stranger: I agree there's a lot more than just phil 101
You: I mean, they usually assume first
You: and then I say something about Habermas
You: and usually they just don't know
You: so it's not really "gotcha" more like
You: it's not as simple as you think
Stranger: sure, that is certainly true
You: I don't know where I was going with that
Stranger: For any given philosophy, its most famous errors have usually been patched up by a bunch of Neo-whateverists
Stranger: So things are never as simple as we might want
You: Yes
You: Gotta keep on reading
Stranger: Absolutely
Stranger: So what have you been reading lately?
You: The Magic Mountain
Stranger: nice
Stranger: Thomas Mann is great writer
You: Well that's good
You: What are you reading?
Stranger: I've been reading a book called Tehanu
Stranger: by Ursula Le Guin
Stranger: Probably the best fantasy novel I've read
You: Oh, wow
You: Do you watch movies and TV?
Stranger: Not so much tv really
Stranger: I saw the new True Detective
Stranger: Movies, yes.
You: Is that TV?
Stranger: HBo
You: Ok
You: I don't watch TV, but
You: I wish I didn't watch any movies alone
Stranger: Last great TV show I watched was The Return
You: ha, I also haven't heard of that
Stranger: also known as Twin Peaks, Season 3
You: What's your favorite movie?
Stranger: That's a hard one, probably Stolen Kisses
Stranger: by Truffaut
You: a romantic comedy huh
You: what do you like about it?
You: a certain element?
Stranger: It's a very light movie, but it is very nostalgic relating to being young and in love
Stranger: It's also the sequel to 400 blows
Stranger: Opening Night is another favourite
Stranger: That's a Cassavetes movie
You: Aw, I haven't heard of any of these
Stranger: That means you are in for a treat
You: =)
Stranger: What about Fellini?
You: nope
Stranger: You gotta get into that foreign film section
Stranger: 8 1/2, Nights of Cabiria, La Strada
You: awwwww
You: that's like the only one I haven't touched
You: that's like a billion more!
Stranger: yeah, it's hard
Stranger: Fellini is a good place to start
Stranger: Or French New Wave movies
You: Note to self
Stranger: 8 1/2 is pretty much perfect
Stranger: I might, watch it now
You: Haa, ok

No comments:

Post a Comment