Friday, May 8, 2015

Justice before lessening poverty?



Stranger: I read philosophy, yes
Stranger: metaphysics, ethics, epistemology, politics
Stranger: legal theory
You: do you follow any one in particular?
Stranger: Aristotelian-Thomistic scholasticism
You: looking up...
You: can you explain, in a nutshell?
Stranger: Well, to explain it so you cand understand it, that would requires a book. To give a simplistic nearly caricatural outlook of it, ues I can.
Stranger: by metaphysics, we can know that the only coherent philosophy is one which pressupose one god, all powerful, all knowing, good. (that christianity is the only fitting it in theory, and by evidence, proving it empirically, is another matter out of scholastic metaphysics.
Stranger: then, there is natural law : human nature has aim in it, which allow us to know by reason, what is good
You: & the book you recommend?
Stranger: http://www.amazon.com/Aquinas-Beginners-Guide-Edward-Feser/dp/1851686908/ref=pd_sim_b_1
You: thanks for both
You: I bet you could guess what I follow/belive
You: http://logs.omegle.com/60f2c10
Stranger: No.
Stranger: I do not like to do guesses.
You: Aw, you're no fun
Stranger: Indeed
You: Your job?
Stranger: None of your concern.
You: Okay, well thanks again for the book/description--but do you
You: know any other good nonfiction?
You: (not particularly related to philo)
You: or--whichever
Stranger: anything by Edward Feser
You: so you don't read eclectically?
Stranger: programming, metaphysics, epistemology, theology, ethics, politics, history, legal theory, strategy, economics
Stranger: psychology, evolution
Stranger: I think I do read eclectically
You: what kind of strategy, economics
You: I'm asking for recommendations
You: psych too please
Stranger: I am changing right now of global philosophical paradigm.
Stranger: So no, I can not make good recommendation, for my view of what is good, is changing, and it requires few years to rework what is a good reference in each of those field.
Stranger: I could advice one blog about usury.
Stranger: If economics is your thing.
You: I understand, so no more books?
Stranger: Kind of.
You: I guess internet resources are just as well
You: Why would anyone want to know about usury?
Stranger: Because economics is what allow to understand which economics rules allow, ceteris paribus, for a prosperous society.
You: the illegal practice of lending money at unreasonably high rates of interest?
You: I'm asking why you'd be interested in that
Stranger: This is not what is usury.
Stranger: First, usury can be legal.
Stranger: Second, usury is not about high interest rates (which can be immoral, but hat does not make it usury)
Stranger: Looking for the technical definition
You: Ah
Stranger: debt that are full recourse
Stranger: in non judicial terms : there is two kind of debt.
Stranger: One which only has non-human property as colateral.
Stranger: like, if a mortage only had the house itself, or another physical property (another house, a car, a luxury watch...)
Stranger: as collateral (if you can not pay (and not if you do not want to pay but can), they use the colateral, and can not take anything more from you)
Stranger: that is non-recourse, the interest rate can be incredibly high, it is still not usury
Stranger: a 0.000001% loan that is full-recourse, is usury
Stranger: you can be forced, to pay debt, which mean in practice, a form of debt-slavery (some form of income, or all, taken from your salary as you earn it)
Stranger: bankruptcy rules limit to some degree such debt-slavery
Stranger: but federal student loans in US, can not be defaulted by bankruptcy
Stranger: so, it is usury
You: allright
You: I'll assume you're a law grad/doc student
Stranger: I am not
Stranger: My major was programming, I work in a coffee shop
Stranger: I learn quickly
You: Why so much interest in litigation?
Stranger: Because law is the tool to protect the innocent
Stranger: to assure peace
You: interesting
Stranger: It is the difference between justice, and tyranny
You: Have you thought about people in poverty, abject poverty?
Stranger: Yes
Stranger: But that is called charity, and economics
You: =J I know
Stranger: but without justice, they can be neither
You: true
You: You think at a higher level then me
Stranger: I searched for truth for a long time
You: What motivates you
You: for lack of a better term
Stranger: Truth, Justice
You: Anything specific?
Stranger: I was specific enough
You: I mean like an event or realization in you life
You: something like that anyway
Stranger: I always loved truth as far I can remember
Stranger: the first time I opened a book about history, or saw a documentary about science, I was hooked
Stranger: I always loved those 2, and they are part of me, Without such love, I do not see any meaning or interest in living, I'd rather die
You: hmm, well
You: this has been an sagacious chat
You: oh, and what adult stages of development do you know about?
Stranger: too many of that name
You: 9?
Stranger: I read some theory about that, that was a long time ago
Stranger: so I do not remember, did not strike me as very useful
Stranger: Why should I care?
You: Hey, I just thought you cared about truth
You: if you truly believe somethings not useful
You: to each his own
Stranger: I did not read 10 thousand pages of quantum theory
Stranger: I did in economics
Stranger: I value specialization
Stranger: I learn what I think is worth learning, my time is limited


No comments:

Post a Comment