Tuesday, October 23, 2018

meh

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
You both like philosophy.
You: Hey. I'm into Effective Altruism. It's easy to look up if you might be interested in a discussion. Other things too.
Stranger: I can look that up
You: ok
Stranger: Okay, I think I get the gist
You: hmmm, too fast
Stranger: I read the first wikipedia paragraph
You: ya, that's not enough to hold a conversation
Stranger: I already have a question
You: Ok
You: What is it?
Stranger: Is it similar to pragmatism in the sense it does not proscribe the means by which a goal is achieved and is more focused on ends? That is, could anything be judged effect altruism so long as it made things better?
Stranger: prescribe
Stranger: I ask because, if you take Kant or Rawls, for instance, there are clearly some actions that can never be right even if, in a more utilitarian sense, they increased the general well-being of society
You: Ah, no, not really
You: It's a movement like the Civil Rights movement
You: There are no blanket conditionals
Stranger: The reason I ask is because you could argue that say, neoliberal capitalism was good because it lifted people out of poverty if you believed that. A lot of people who might fit the traditional mold of an effective altruist could disagree
You: Well no
Stranger: So I guess what I mean is does it prioritize certain methods of achieving good?
You: Reading the first paragraph of a Wikipedia article
You: doesn't mean you know what you're talking about
Stranger: That's why I'm asking lol
You: I'm saying, it doesn't make sense when you used "effective altruist"\
Stranger: Ah, I gotcha
You: So do you follow some ethical system?
Stranger: Hmmm, not strictly. I like the neo-Kantian mindset advanced by people like Rawls, but I think I'm a bit more flexible than them or at least think that their theories have to be adapted to fit the real world
You: ok
Stranger: Was that not an adequate answer lol?
You: kinda vague
Stranger: That's true
You: I don't know Rawls too
Stranger: That's what I mean when I say I think I am a bit more flexible. I would love it if there was one system I felt had all the answers, but I feel like, a lot of the time, the ideal world described by the moral philosophers I admire is either impossible to implement or the most effective, least destructive way to implement it takes time
Stranger: That doesn't mean you should sacrifice your ideals
You: Have you read any Habermas?
Stranger: It might just be something as simple as you live in a nation without as many economic resources as another so you have to choose a lesser healthcare system
Stranger: I've read only a bit and I gotta say that he was a difficult read
Stranger: So I may be rusty here
Stranger: You?
You: Not much
Stranger: Are you in college?
Stranger: What drew you to effective altruism?
You: ya
You: A third of it's about lessening absolute poverty
You: and I'm all about that
Stranger: Yeah, economic well-being is probably my largest political concern
Stranger: Not because everyone needs to be rich, but because it gives people the resources to make a better society
You: Are you in college?
Stranger: Just graduated last year, now working
You: lucky dog
Stranger: Hahaha, I loved college, but it was time to go
Stranger: And I feel lucky to have gotten the job
Stranger: How do you like school?
You: I don't like my professors
Stranger: Why not?
You: Don't really help
Stranger: Or do you dislike each one for different reasons?
You: And yes
Stranger: Do you know what to do after school?
Stranger: I know one really does
Stranger: But generally I mean
You: Do I know what to do for what?
Stranger: Just as your main "profession" for lack of a better term
Stranger: Whether that be helping people or working as an investment banker
Stranger: Or more school
You: ohh
You: I thought I meant
You: after classes are done
You: for the day
You: =)
Stranger: Ahh haha I gotcha
You: I want to go into printed circuit board design or something with telecommunications I think
Stranger: Interesting
Stranger: Yeah, I'm a consultant at a software development firm
Stranger: So definitely nothing related to my interests here lol
Stranger: Maybe grad. school one day, though
Stranger: Are you an engineering major?
You: electrical
You: your degree?
Stranger: Government and economics with a minor in Middle Eastern studies
You: What do you consult that firm on?
Stranger: I consult clients; I assess their needs to develop a solution which works for them. I then work with developers to implement the solution and help run the project. The extent to which this involves traditional management consulting varies as some clients need/want large, custom software implementations to be accompanied by changes in business processes while others do not

No comments:

Post a Comment