Saturday, October 13, 2018

Brave New World

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
You both like philosophy.
You: Hey, I'm 24. I read/know about whatever interest we matched on. Vegetarian. Wannabe author. STEM student.
Stranger: Hello, what do you read/know about in regards to philosophy?
You: last few years mostly read about preference utilitarianism
You: now getting into discourse ethics
Stranger: Also, Daniel, 24. Meat-eater, also wannabe author, and law student.
You: also, informally, read a lot about the Effective Altruism movement
You: Ok
Stranger: I see.
Stranger: I'm more interested in psychoanalysis (Freud and also Jung), existentialism, Nietzsche, Camus, and others, both in philosophy and literature (Kafka is a big favourite), Eastern and Chinese philosophy, Daoism, Confucianism, etc and Stoicism.
You: Of those, I like Camus the most
You: Jung is fun though
Stranger: Yeah, but I've read mostly existentialism and psychoanalysis lately.
Stranger: Why is he fun?
You: theories of personality is fun
You: ISTJ, EST bla
You: fun stuff
Stranger: MBTI is bs.
You: somewhat, sure
Stranger: I'd say completely, not just somewhat.
You: I disagree
Stranger: Not saying that Jung's typology, on which MBTI is predicated, is bs.
You: Ok
Stranger: Just the MBTI-test itself; psychometrically speaking, it is pure and utter bs; and has the scientific validity of a horoscope.
Stranger: Predictive validity is 0 %.
Stranger: Not 1 %, 0 %.
Stranger: No factor analysis, no normal distribution, no psychometric or statistically valid methodology of any kind.
You: Do you know a well known paper detailing why it's a bunch of malarkey?
You: I'd like to make a list
Stranger: I don't have one in mind.
Stranger: But you can easily find it if you search, trust me.
You: No, I don't mean any old paper
Stranger: To anyone with basic knowledge in psychometrics, MBTI is pure and utter bs.
You: I mean one that's looked to most often
Stranger: Of course, I'm comparing it with the big five.
Stranger: I don't know; I haven't read about it for quite some time.
Stranger: If you want an accurate and psychometrically valid personality test; do the big five.
Stranger: It's based on factor analysis, normal distributions, twin-studies, research in neurophysiology, cross-cultural studies, behavioural genetics, etc, and the statistical methodology underlying that test is rigorous; and it actually has some predictive validity (unlike MBTI).
You: Interesting
Stranger: MBTI is just for idiots online who like to brag about what special and misunderstood snowflakes they are.
You: Haha
Stranger: You see all those cults, ''INTJs'', ''INTPS'', etc.
Stranger: Sheer and utter incompetence.
You: Like I said, they're fun
Stranger: Maybe if you find pseudoscience to be funny.
You: It's an opinion statement
You: Some people find shoveling shit fun.
Stranger: Sure.
You: So is psychoanalysis the field you're going into?
Stranger: Yes, it seems so. Freud in particular.
Stranger: Jung wasn't really a psychoanalyst, he founded analytical psychology, you know.
Stranger: And ofc existentialism, Nietzsche had a lot of pre-Freudian psychoanalytic insights; and Freud derived much from him, Jung too.
Stranger: But I like Jung too, I think many of his works contain a lot of wisdom and depth.
Stranger: Many people doesn't like him because of his mystical inclinations; and because he was kind of a religious thinker.
You: Interesting.
You: It's been a long time since I've had a good chat here.
Stranger: But Huxley is kind of considered to be a mystic too, and I like him, a lot, not only as a writer but as a philosopher.
Stranger: Yeah, you don't get them very often.
You: Know about Brave New World?
Stranger: Of course.
Stranger: It's the greatest dystopian novel that has ever been written (1984 included).
You: I believe that's how society is turning out
You: generally
Stranger: It is.
You: =D
Stranger: No one should read BNW without reading BNW revisited, and Island.
Stranger: Island in particular.
You: Hugh, I didn't know about that.
You: Thanks
Stranger: You have something to look forward to now.
Stranger: On the topic of Huxley; I would also recommend Doors of perception.
Stranger: It has nothing to do with dystopian stuff, it's basically a trip report written by a verbal genius, but it's a joy to read.
You: I'll put it on the list
You: Where are you from?
Stranger: Sweden, you?
You: US, Wisconsin
Stranger: Nice, wish I were American too.
You: Really?
Stranger: Of course.
You: Why on Earth would you want that?
Stranger: I like America (in many respects), and I hate Sweden (in almost all respects).
You: I'm pretty ignorant about Sweden, but what about Switzerland?
Stranger: Switzerland seems great.
You: Ok, agreed.
Stranger: But I don't speak French, German or Italian.
You: Lol
Stranger: So I'd prefer to live in an English-speaking country.
You: I see.
You: Age?
You: Oh ya
Stranger: 24, like you.
You: So are you still studying?
Stranger: Law school, but philosophy this semester.
Stranger: What STEM-field are you in?
Stranger: Computer science?
You: electrical engineering
Stranger: Oh, ok, I was wrong then.
You: What's your ideal life in like ten years?
You: Such as your job
Stranger: Hmm, that's a hard question.
Stranger: My dream would be to be a writer or a painter or an academic or something.
Stranger: That's not very realistic, so what's ideal within the realm of possibility would be something like a lawyer working abroad or something, but working independently.
Stranger: What about you?
You: perhaps a patent attorney
Stranger: I'd like to be in contract law or something like that, writing legal contracts, they can be quite long and complex.
You: Why do you want to do that?
Stranger: It appeals to me, the level of detail, precision of language, orderliness, etc.
You: Cool beans
You: What about your free time?
Stranger: The ideal would be to travel, read a lot of books, and have some kind of intellectually and/or aesthetically rewarding and meaningful hobby or side-career.
Stranger: Like writing.
Stranger: What about you?
You: Oh, yes, writing
Stranger: What do you want to write?
Stranger: Since you're a wannabe-writer.
You: A novel
Stranger: What kind of novel?
You: I have a vague idea of what I want it to be about
You: Kind of like a realistic science fiction
You: about a certain peripatetic group of individuals who live a very long time (age slowly)
You: kinda what they do with their time
Stranger: Oh, ok, doesn't sound that far-fetched, with transhumanism, etc.
Stranger: How long would they stay alive?
Stranger: I think if we got eternal life with technology, we'd all end up killing ourselves sooner or later.
You: how so?
Stranger: I think eternal life would be pure torture.
Stranger: I think death is what makes life meaningful.
Stranger: What would you want to do after 300 years?
Stranger: Or 5000 years?
Stranger: Sure, maybe if we become post-humans or transhumans, or Gods.
Stranger: But as humans, no way.
You: just work
Stranger: Work for eternity?
Stranger: That sounds like torture.
You: =)
You: I don't think it'd be that bad
Stranger: For a human, I think it would. For a post-human or a God, not necessarily.
Stranger: In any event; I'd never want it.
You: What age do you think they should roughly live to?
You: They basically just work.
Stranger: Depends.
Stranger: Are they human, or post-human?
You: human
Stranger: Hmm.
Stranger: I'd say a few hundred years.
Stranger: I don't think a human could make it for thousands of years.
You: right
You: some people were thinking 1000s
You: but I don't want them to be from that long ago
Stranger: So, what's the plot?
Stranger: What's the twist?
Stranger: Or dramaturgy?
Stranger: Work for hundreds of years, then what?
Stranger: I think it should be something like a philosophical issue of what the meaning of life is or should be in the absence of death
Stranger: And maybe whether or not they should end their existence
Stranger: And you'd have that philosophical underpinning, or sometihng
Stranger: Make it a bit existential
Stranger: Transhuman existentialism hehe
You: Die by a younger member of the order.
You: Well, I want to show how...what Huxley did with Brave New World
You: TV and media for soma
You: It's also similar to "A Cure For Wellness"
You: (movie)
You: Or "The Magic Mountain"
You: (book)
Stranger: Haven't read it.
Stranger: But I think I have watched the movie.
Stranger: My ideas for novels/short stories/novellas are often existentialist, often profoundly Kafkaesque, and very surrealist.
Stranger: If I ever write anything, it's going to be surrealist, fundamentally.
You: Ok
Stranger: Are you familiar with surrealism?
You: I am not
Stranger: Or as I think of it, hyper-realism.
Stranger: Too bad.
You: do you watch movies?
Stranger: Sure, but not very often.
Stranger: I think that most modern movies are pretty bad.
Stranger: I watch more tv shows than movies.
You: what're some of your favorite movies?
Stranger: Hmm, Casablanca comes to mind, I know I have others, but I can't recall any right now.
Stranger: What are yours?
You: That's super old
Stranger: Old movies are better.
You: Maybe. I just never give them a chance =)
You: I like Jack Reacher, Dredd, Good Will Hunting, Riddick (series)
You: and the most: Before I Fall
Stranger: I've seen most of them.
Stranger: They're nothing compared to Casablance.
Stranger: Casablanca*
Stranger: I like most old movies with James Cagney and those other old fellas.
You: Did your dad like 'em too?
Stranger: Humphrey Bogart too1
Stranger: !*
Stranger: No, I don't think so, why?
You: Idk, most our age don't give those old movies a chance
Stranger: That's because most people our age are idiots with no taste.
You: lol
Stranger: Same goes for their taste in music, clothes, hell, they barely read books anymore.
You: ya, a tragedy
You: really
Stranger: It is, it's the spirit of our time, no higher aesthetic or moral values, just pure decadence.
Stranger: Sure, we live in the golden age of technology and other stuff, but art, music, great literature, it's all dead.
You: Ya. I don't know if I would say that last bit. But I believe it's true.
Stranger: It is true.
Stranger: We don't produce any Dostoevsky's or Kafka's, or any Vivaldi's or Bach's.
Stranger: Or any Michelangelo's or Bottecelli's.
You: Yes...
You: Can I ask you something different?
Stranger: Sure.
You: ever heard of the Effective Altruism movement?
Stranger: Yes, I have.
Stranger: But I don't know that much about it.
You: where'd you hear about it?
Stranger: Hmm, I read about it on the internet.
Stranger: Don't remember how I found it.
You: Hmmm, ok
Stranger: What's your interest in it?
Stranger: Or involvement.
You: oh, um
You: absolute poverty
You: I'm really passionate about lessening it
Stranger: Why?
You: Because I care about lessening extreme suffering
Stranger: Why?
You: long story
Stranger: It's alright, you don't have to say it.
Stranger: So what do you actually do?
Stranger: To lessen poverty?
You: absolute poverty
You: I don't care too much about relative poverty
Stranger: I meant absolute poverty.
You: So you asked what I do. If I was someone else, I might do something different.
You: As for me, I donate to certain transparent, tractable and empirically supported charities (e.g., Against Malaria Foundation, SCI, etc)
You: Only 1% of my income now
You: (just to be consistent)
Stranger: That's admirable.
Stranger: I never donated anything in my life.
Stranger: I guess I'm too much of an egoistic asshole.
You: Well if I hadn't fallen upon the movement, I'd give later
Stranger: Well, it's an admirable thing.
Stranger: And absolute poverty is decreasing at a staggering rate.
Stranger: Globally, which is good.
You: Definitely
You: 40% in 1990
You: 20% in 2010
Stranger: Yeah, it's great.
Stranger: Soon, we'll all live in the Brave new world.
You: haha, yes
You: that could be the main purpose for the book I want to write
You: I suppose I mean, the main message
Stranger: You should read Island first.
You: Ok
Stranger: I'm too tired to explain why, but you can check out the Wikipedia page, and you'll know.
Stranger: If you're really interested, I can copy what I wrote to a friend the other day about it.
Stranger: But it's really, really long.
You: ahh

No comments:

Post a Comment